Wednesday, March 31, 2010

What I was looking for!


How many times, in the past, was I viewing other peoples photos on Flickr and wished I had a following too! How many times have I viewed a photo from someone else and wished that I can take such an amazing image! One night, from the pit of despair, I saw this image as I was walking up to the beach at Torrey Pines State Reserve. It had everything that all those OTHER photographers had in there amazing line up of photos. It had the ocean, duh, it had standing water, even a set of wispy clouds in the back. And the one thing I was missing, under the standing water was rocks and details! OH, all the good photographers have that in there set of photos to look at!

All I had to do to get there, was take my son to the bathroom, and well, I kind of had to go too. SO, we made it to the rest rooms only to find a sign that said something like "Budget cuts." and "bathroom closed!" What?!?!?! He is 4 years old! No bathroom? OK, so I take him to the restrooms that are at the OTHER end of the beach only to see the SUNSET on the way and to see the "budget cuts" sign on those doors! WHAT!!!!!!!! Ok, so I RUN back to the truck, hand my son over to may man, and RAN to the beach, where there was standing water and rocks under the water. Oh ya, did I mention, the tide was coming in? :) Ok, so by time I was able to fire off my first image, there was no standing water left, it was a once in a while rush, which stirred all the sand below. SO, in the image above, I was able to get some under water details, but really, very little compared to what I saw before the sun went down. OH and those wispy clouds? Over to the right and not the direction of my rocks and standing water. But the silhouette of the couple to the top left, I love! But at the end of the day, the set of photos I came home with that night, were some of the best I have had in a while. The lesson here? Learn to see what you want and compose the image instead of just shooting! And that was 2 months ago? And I am still learning that today! :) Foreground, foreground, foreground. That will be my goal for April. Look for the foreground element.

I thank you for stopping by and I hope you check out my flickr photo stream. There are a lot more photos there!

No comments:

Post a Comment